25 Jeffress Ave.
Asheville, NC 28803
To obtain a position as a college English teacher or freelance writer where I can apply my education and expertise to both teach mature students the tenants of good writing and critical thinking skills and write informative, entertaining works of non fiction.
Summary of Qualifications:
- Results-oriented self-starter with strong dedication to academic excellence and advanced studies.
- *Experienced in balancing personal and academic priorities.
- Recognized as a creative and practical problem solver.
- Proven record of creativity, flexibility, and adaptability to any assignment.
- Out standing credentials and motivation.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills.
Webster University St. Louis, MO
BA in English 1981-1985
College of Charleston Charleston, SC MA in English 1996-1998
AB Tech College English and writing teacher Asheville, NC
*Teach both basic and advanced composition January 2017 present
* Set learning goals and develop/implement curriculum and instructional aids/materials.
* Adapt teaching style to meet the unique needs of each student,
* Create an interactive learning environment designed to challenge students to do their best and inspire
them to be creative.
* Managed Moodle and other computer programs to create assignments and complete grades.
Elance Worcester, MA
Freelance Writer October 2014-Present
*Produced diverse freelance articles for various clients while acquiring 33 five-star reviews.
*Wrote and edited works of non-fiction and fiction.
*Argued effectively for a theme or concept using supporting facts in argumentative essays.
*Researched efficiently to glean relevant information for topics at hand.
Expert Tutoring Worcester, MA
Owner/Operator of tutoring company 2007-2013
*Tutored high school and junior high students in English, history, accounting, and writing.
*Prepared students for standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT.
Amazon and EBay
Los Angeles, CA
Book Procurer and Seller 2001-2007
*Acquired and sold new and previously owned books.
*Located books for clients, selected proper packaging, and utilized different forms of shipping both nationally and internationally.
* Maintained a large computer database of books to sell and amassed more than 2,500 contacts.
* Wrote print copy and assisted in the design and layout of advertisements for books offered.
Los Angeles Public School System Los Angeles, CA
High School English Teacher 1998-2001
*Created curriculum and instructed high school students in essay, research, and fiction writing.
*Developed strategies for successfully managing a large class.
*Advised students on ways to improve tone and content in writing to exceed academic standards and
encourage burgeoning young writers.
Charleston Public School System Charleston, SC
High School English Teacher 1986-1998
*Created curriculum and taught high school students compositional English and grammar.
*Prepared, administered, and graded various assignments and exams.
Published works including academic, short story, essay, and poetry in a variety of genres by publishers including Glimmer Train, Southern Poetry Review, Alabama Literary Review and Stepping Stones Magazine